Extended Side Angle Pose / Utthita Parsvakonasana
Step by step
- Stand with your feet about a legs distance apart. The heels are in one line with each other. Keep hands in your side.
- Turn your right foot out fully (90 degrees), and your left foot in about 45 degrees.
- Exhale bend your right knee, move thigh toward parallel to floor, not beyond. Most weight of the right leg into the front of the right heel.
- Check that your knee is in line with the first 2 toes and right over the heel, not beyond. Basically you roll your right thigh out, but you ground the base of the big toe.
- Inhale lift your arms up parallel to the floor, and extend out through the fingertips. Shoulder blades wide and keep your palms facing down. Lower your shoulders away from your ears.
- Exhale extend your body out over the right leg, than bring your right arm down, place hand on the outside of the right foot, on the floor or on a block, underneath the shoulder, and stretch your left arm up, left hand right over the left shoulder. palm facing to the front.
- Press the outside of your left foot actively into the floor and pull up your left thigh bone into your hip. Also firm in your right buttock.
- Keep the spine long, neck long and in line with the spine, look straight ahead.
- Than roll your outer upper left arm toward your face and reach your arm over the head, next to the left ear, palm facing down. extend from the outside of the left heel through the left fingertips. If your neck allows you can look up from underneath the left arm pit to the ceiling.
- Revolve the ribcage up towards the ceiling.
- Be aware of your foundation and through that your spine can be light and your face soft.
- you can hold this pose for about 30 sec to a min, or anywhere from 5 breaths to 15 breaths.
It is important to keep the same length in your right side as in your left, if you feel you can’t, modify this pose and:
- Place your right hand on a block, or bend your elbow and place the forearm on your right thigh, hand facing up, shoulder still away from ear.
To come out of this pose:
- Press actively into your feet, and on an inhalation strongly extend through the left arm as you come back up to straight. Reverse the orientation of your feet and than do the other side.
- Come back in Mountain pose before you practice the next pose.
Click on Utthita Parsvakonasana to find out about the benefits of this pose.