Foot to fingers forward bend / Padangusthasana
A variation to Utanassana / Standing forward bend
step by step:
- From Mountain pose, feet together or hip width apart, inhale stand tall, place hands on your hips, exhale bend forward hinging from the hips, keep length between the pubic bone and breast bone.
- When possible with straight legs, wrap your index and middle fingers around the big toe, closing with the thumb.
- Inhale flatten lower back, straighten arms and look forward, opening your chest, drawing shoulder blades down along the spine.
- Exhale, release into the forward bend, lengthening from the hips, drawing your torso close to the legs with the grip of your fingers and thumb, your elbows move out to the sides. Again focus on maintaining the length along the front of the bod. Keep the shoulder blades drawn down along the spine, so there is space between the ears and the shoulders.
- hold for up to 10 breaths.
- If holding the big toes seems not right for your body, you can place the palms on the back of the calves, important is to remember to bend from the hips, if that isn’t possible because of short hamstrings, bend your knees enough so you are able to bend from the hips.
- To come out: inhale and again lengthen the spine looking forward as you straighten the arms, exhale hands in your sides, come up half way, with straight back, inhale, press into your feet and come up fully with straight back to standing.
Click on Padangusthasana to find out about the benefits of this pose.