Half Lord of the Fishes Pose / Ardha Matsyendrasana
step by step:
- Sit with your legs outstretched in front of you, (Dandasana). If you find it difficult to sit with a straight spine, sit on a block or pillow, something sturdy.
- Lift your right knee and place your right foot on the outside of your left leg, knee height.
- bend your left leg and place the left foot on the outside of your right hip.
- Place your right arm behind you and with your left arm you hug the right knee into your chest. Or you hook your elbow behind the knee, lower arm and hand pointing up or arm down trying to hold on to the left knee or even right foot.
- First on the inbreath ground the sitting bones into the floor and lengthen through the spine.
- On the outbreath you begin to twist to your right, from belly button upwards, first ribcage than your chest, neck and head.
- Keep your shoulders level, keep spreading through the collar bones.
- Every inbreath you create length in the spine, every outbreath you feel if you can move deeper into the twist.
- Stay for 5 to 8 breaths.
- On an outbreath you come out of the twist, move back into dandasana, and repeat on the other side.
Click on Ardha Matsyendrasana to find out about the benefits of this pose.