Intense Side Stretch
Intense side stretch / parsvottanasana
Step by step:
- from tadasana step your left leg back3.5 to 4 feet. Keep your hips facing the front of your mat. Right foot pointing forward, left foot turned out about 45 degrees.
- Line your knees up with the center of your ankles, pressing the outside of your left foot active into the floor, activate your legs by pulling up the knee caps and thighs into the hips.
- when possible place your hands in reversed prayer position behind your back. If not available to you just hold on to your elbows behind the back.
- Inhale lengthen your body, exhale gently, hinging from the hips, lean your torso forward over the right leg. Rolling the left thigh inward, while keeping your right hip back. Stop when your torso is parallel to the floor.
- When your spine is still straight you can continue to fold over the right leg, bringing you belly to your upper legs, keeping your spine as long as possible. If your back begins to round, stop half way and take a few breaths.
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths, than change sides.
- To come out you actively push through the back heel and you pull the tailbone down as you come up with a straight back.