Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend
wide angle seated forward bend / upavishta konasana
step by step instructions :
- From dandasana / staff pose , bring your legs apart, ninety degrees or wider, up to a point where you feel a good stretch, but can still hold the pose without falling back. Keep your back straight. Sit on a folded blanket if you can’t sit with a straight back.
- Flex your feet, keep your knees and toes pointed up towards the ceiling. Press the legs, sitting bones down again to help raise the spine. Pull up the thighs and descend the top of the thighs.
- When you sit with a straight back you can place the hands between the legs on the floor and slowly as you exhale walk the hands forward. Maintaining the length along the front of the body when you come into the forward bend. To maintain a long spine you have to bend from the hips, and keep lengthening from the pubic bone to the breast bone.
- When you feel you start arching your back you stop, you lengthen again and see if you can go deeper into the pose on an outbreath. when you’ve reached your edge, you will feel a stretch along the back of the legs and your back is still long. You can hold this pose for about a minute or longer.
- To come out you breathe in and come back up with a straight back, pressing the sit bones down.
Click on upavishta konasana to find out about the benefits of this pose.